The following recipe was printed in the MLEC Outlet newsletter for June 2017.
Submit your recipes by email to firstname.lastname@example.org One recipe is chosen each month. If your recipe is printed, your account will be credited $5.00.
Lemon Rhubarb Bundt Cake
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- 3 cups rhubarb chopped small
- and sprinkled with 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 eggs
Mix all ingredients and pour into a greased and floured bundt pan. Bake 45 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes, then gently remove from pan. Glaze immediately. Glaze: 2 cups powdered sugar, 2 T. soft butter, juice and zest of 1 lemon.Mix into thick icing and spread on hot cake.
Thanks to Dorothy Hautman of Chaska and Onamia for submitting this recipe.
Blueberry Coffee Cake
- 1 cake mix, yellow or white
- 3 eggs
- 1 can blueberry pie mix
Combine and beat for two minutes. Pour into greased 9 x 13 cake pan.
Mix and crumble together:
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 2/3 c. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. butter
Sprinkle over the top of cake and bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes.
Thanks to Arty Heins of Aitkin for submitting this recipe.
- 1 package 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 8 oz. whipped topping, thawed
- 1 - 6 oz. graham cracker crust
Mix first 3 ingredients together (with mixer). Fold into whipped topping. Put in pie crust and top with fruit of your choice.
Thanks to Steve and Jenny LaFlamme of Apple Valley for submitting this recipe.
- 1/4 c. butter
- 2 eggs well beaten
- 2 c. flour
- 1 tsp. soda
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 or 3 ripe bananas
Cream butter and sugar, add the rest of ingredients in order given. Bake in a 13” x 9” baking pan for 30 minutes at 350 degrees
Thanks to Elaine Krenz of Faribault for submitting this recipe.
Game Day Dip
- 16 ounce cream cheese, softened
- Finely chopped onion to taste
- Garlic salt to taste
Stir together in large bowl.
Home Made Potato Chips (would go well together)
- 2 medium Yukon Gold or Idaho potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/8-inch slices (mandoline or hand slicer)
- 3 tablespoons olive, canola, or peanut oil
- Freshly ground pepper
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Slice the potatoes into a bowl and immediately toss them with the oil. Season lightly with salt and arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven until golden brown — about 12-15 minutes. Season again lightly with salt and pepper when they come out of the oven. Transfer to a rack to cool for maximum crispness.
Thanks to Craig Klingelhofer of Aitkin for submitting this recipe.
Up North Southwest Bake
- 1 lb. ground beef - cooked and drained
- 1 - 10 oz. can tomatoes and chiles
- 1 1/2 c. beef broth
- 1 each green & yellow peppers, diced
- 1 can black bean, drained & rinsed
- 1/2 c. frozen corn
- 1 1/2 c. instant brown or white rice
- 1 Tsp. taco seasoning
Put rice in lightly greased 9” x 13” casserole. Gently fold together all other ingredients and place on top of rice. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Remove and sprinkle with mexi-cheese to your liking, (one cup is plenty)
Thanks to Cindy Scott of Minnetonka/Farm Island for submitting this recipe.
- 1 pkg yellow cake mix
- 1 pkg instant pistachio pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 c maraschino cherries, chopped
- 1/2 c nuts (pistachios or pecans), chopped
- 1/8 c water
- 1/4 oil
- 1 c sour cream
- 1/8 c sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon, mixed
Combine all ingredients except sugar and cinnamon. Mix with a spoon, not a mixer. Grease 2 - 2.5 x 4.5 x 8.5” loaf pans. Dust pans with sugar cinnamon mix, leaving some to sprinkle on the top of loaves. Fill pans and bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes. Check with toothpick in the center of loaf and when it comes out clean, it’s done.
Thanks to Joelen Schoeben of Aitkin for submitting this recipe.
Surprise Chocolate Cake
Mix a chocolate cake mix according to directions. Pour half the batter into a greased 9 X 13 pan.
- 2 Tbsp. softened butter
- 1 - 8 oz. pkg. softened cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. corn starch
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
Beat until smooth, then spoon by Tbsp. over cake batter - carefully spread. Add the rest of the cake batter.With a knife swirl thru the batter. Bake at 350 degrees and start checking after 35 minutes with a toothpick for doneness.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup milk
Boil 1 minute, remove from heat. Add 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 1 tsp. vanilla. Beat till smooth, frost cooled cake and enjoy!
Thanks to Mary Lou Michels of Ham Lake for submitting this recipe.
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 small box instant vanilla pudding
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c vegetable oil
- 1/4 c. water
- 1/2 c. chocolate chips (save more for top)
- 1/2 c. Mini M&M candies (save more for top)
Preheat oven to 350°. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix. (Mix will be a little thick.) Pour into a greased 13"x9" baking pan and spread evenly across the bottom. Sprinkle extra chocolate chips and M&M candies on top. Bake 20-30 minutes.
Thanks to Patricia A Trombley of Anoka (and Farm Island Township) for submitting this recipe.
Apple Upside Down French Toast
- 1/2 c. butter
- 1-1/4 c. dark brown sugar
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 loaf whole wheat french bread cut into 1-1/2 in thick slices
- 1-1/2 c. milk
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 c. sliced almonds or chopped walnuts (optional)
Combine butter and sugar in sauce pan. Cook over medium heat until bubbles appear, stirring frequently. Pour into a 13” x 9” baking pan and spread evenly across the bottom. Let cool. Place apple slices in rows, close together, on top of sauce, sprinkle with cinnamon and layer bread slices on over the top.
Combine milk, eggs, and vanilla extract. Pour over bread. Sprinkle nutmeg on top, cover and refrigerate overnight. The next day, preheat oven to 350°, Uncover pan and bake 60 minutes or until golden brown and crispy on the top. Scoop serving so that apples are on top, and spoon sauce from pan over each serving. If desired, sprinkle with almonds or walnuts. Serves 8.
Thanks to Sharon K Peterson of Onamia for submitting this recipe.
- A large bunch of fresh kale washed with stems removed.
- Cut or tear leaves into medium-sized pieces.
- One thinly sliced onion
- 4 T olive oil
- 4T Rice wine vinegar (seasoned or plain)
- 2 T Raw honey
Shake in jar until blended
Add part of dressing to the thinly sliced onions and let set for an hour.
Add the kale and rest of dressing and toss til coated well. May be tossed an hour ahead of serving.
Thanks to Sharon Hegstrom of Onamia for submitting this recipe.
Cheesy Brat Stew
- 5 or 6 cooked brats
- 4 to 5 medium potatoes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can french style green beans
- 1+ cup grated american or velveeta type cheese
In a pot, start heating soup and green beans. Cut brats in 1/2” pieces and add to soup. Cut potatoes into 3/4-1” chunks and add to pot. Stir in onion and cheese.
Heat slowly until the potatoes are done.
Makes enough for 4-6 hearty appetites. Very good to use up leftover brats and easy to make.
Thanks to Jeff Norman of Aitkin for submitting this recipe.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp. soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 3/4 cups fresh rhubarb chopped fine
- 3/4 cup coconut or white chips
Pre-heat oven to 350°. Cream shortening with sugar and then add eggs. Add flour, soda, and salt - mix well. Add rhubarb, coconut or chips and mix thorougly. Drop by spoonsfuls onto cookie sheets and bake for 12-14 minutes until lightly brown.
Makes about 60 cookies.
Thanks to Elaine Pearson of Aitkin for submitting this recipe.
Banana Cranberry Bread
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup mashed ripened banana
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup drained freshly cooked cranberries
Cream shortening with sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Add dry ingredients alternately with mashed bananas to creamed mixture, beating well after each. Fold in drained cranberries. Pour into greased 8.5” x 4.25” x 2.5” loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 60 minutes. Cool and slice.
* To cook cranberries - Bring 2 cups water and 2 cups sugar to a boil. Cook 5 minutes.
Add 1 package cranberries and continue cooking until they pop.
Thanks to Cecelia Anderlie of Onamia for submitting this recipe.
Ricotta Mini Cakes
Put together in one bowl and set aside:
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
In second bowl:
- Beat ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened, and 1 cup granulated sugar until blended.
- Add 1 egg, 1 cup ricotta cheese and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Mix until blended.
- With mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture and beat until blended. It will be sticky but stiff.
Drop by tablespoons onto lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake in 350 degrees preheated oven for about 14 minutes, until lightly browned around the edges. Remove to rack to cool completely. Glaze after completely cooled.
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar mixed with 3 Tablespoons milk.
Makes about 3 dozen.
Thanks to Sylvia Allen of NJ and Big Pine Lake for submitting this recipe.
Wild Rice Meatloaf
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can cooked wild rice
- 1 egg
- 2-3 Tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- Salt, pepper, and burger seasoning to taste
Mix all ingredients together. Put in a loaf pan.
If desired, put ketchup down the center of the loaf.
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
Thanks to Ann Kurr of Ham Lake for submitting this recipe.
- 1 lb. ground beef (85-90% lean)
- 2 Tbsps. taco seasoning
- 2 Tbsps. ice water
Mix hamburger, taco seasoning and water with hands. Using a mini muffin pan, press in bottom and up the sides.
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsps. Taco sauce
- 2 oz. black olives, chopped
- ¾ cup coarsely crushed tortilla chips
- 1 cup shredded cheese
Preheat oven to 425°. Mix filling ingredients in medium bowl. Spoon into each hamburger shell making a slight mound, cover with cheese and bake 7 to 8 minutes. Serve immediately, or freeze. Makes 30-36.
Thanks to Karen Stoltz of Garrison for submitting this recipe.