A hazardous condition is any abnormal condition relating to an electrical service. This may include:
- Damaged meters
- Low hanging or frayed wires
- Wires entangled in tree branches
- Wires located over swimming pools
In order to ensure safety and prevent injuries or further damage to equipment, please report any questionable or hazardous conditions immediately by calling Mille Lacs Energy Cooperative at 218-927-2191.
Downed Power Lines
If you see a power line down or low to the ground, DO NOT assume that it is insulated or no longer energized.
Follow these guidelines in the case of a downed power line:
- Stay away from the line and secure the area to keep others away. A live wire touching the ground can cause electricity to travel through the ground for vast distances.
- Consider all wires energized and dangerous. Even lines that are de-energized could become energized at any time.
- Do not drive over downed power lines, as they can become tangled in the axles or wheels.
- Do not attempt to remove a tree limb or other objects from a power line. Electricity can travel through limbs, especially when they are wet.
- If a broken power line falls on your vehicle, it’s safer to stay inside the vehicle. Use your cell phone to call for help. Only attempt to leave the vehicle if your life is threatened. If you must leave the vehicle, jump clear of the vehicle, landing with both feet together, and hop or shuffle to a safe distance. It is important that you do not touch the vehicle and the ground at the same time, as this can be used as a path for electricity to travel to the ground.